Friday, January 28, 2011

I Shouldn't Be Allowed On The Roads

So this morning after working at homecare all night, I get home and get ready for another day of work at Coras. While i'm getting ready Tammy calls me and tells me we are not busy and don't bother coming in. Greatttt. I didn't want to go anyways. So I play on my laptop for a couple hours until I hear my phone ringing. Its tammy telling me to come down asap cause their crazy busy. I get up and quickly try to make myself look presentable. When I feel like i've reached an appearence that was satisfactory I left my house. I walked into a winter wonderland. It was snow covering the ground, greesy and slippery. I was driving a little too fast and noticed the car was slipping a bit so I slowed down and went at a slow pace. I drove the same way I always do not thinking I should take a route with no hills. I start coming down a slope and im supposed to take a right turn. The car is not turning, it is just going straight. I quickly switched the car into low gear and it did slow down even more but not enough. I slide straight up onto the curb. Bang. It made quite some noise and caught the attention of many onlookers. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck was all I could think. Not again. Dad is going to fucking kill me! I jumped out and checked out the damage. Not too bad. The hubcap was off, but hey it will be nothing for me to put that on. I grab the hubcap and put it in the car. A older man rushes over to see if I'm okay. I told him I was fine and its not serious at all. He told me that I should call a tow truck cause the car is not going to move. I looked at him like he had 10 heads, what an idiot! I only went up on the curb i just have to back up and go on my merry way. I jump in the car, slide it into reverse and hit the gas. The screetching noise that filled the air was horrible. The car was on but the tires wouldn't move. I kept trying and the the car filled up with a smoky aroma so I thought it was best to stop. I got out again and the man was still there and told me I best call someone and put on my emergency lights. Great. Fucking great. The only car I can drive these days i've ruined it. So I call moms cell phone. Felt like it was ringing forever! Finally she answered. My parents always seem to have a 6th sense about when I get in accidents. What's wrong she asked. I quickly recited what happened to her and I got the exact reaction I got the other few times. "Ashley not again! YOu've got to be kidding me. Your always getting in accidents what did you do. Jesus christ, etc, etc". I couldn't even continue the conversation cause i had so many people streaming over asking if I needed help. I just told them all I was fine until they continued on their way. One man was persistant. He was a good looking man, about 30, had a nice leather jacket on. Very clean cut looking and he smelled nice. He advised me to get out of the car because if I sat there it would be dangerous in case another car slides into mine. So I took his advice and got out and waited for my dad to come to the rescue. When we crossed the street to the mans car, my dad was just coming around the corner like he was a vulture looking for a prey. He spotted me. With a look of death in his eyes. This will not be a pleasant day. Definitely not. Me and my new friend walked over to the car as dad parked the camery and walked over. He was a comical sight. He had tight black spandex on with a bright red running vest a hat on. He looked comical to me anyways. Until I looked at his face. He was sooo pissed! He came over and started questioning me about why I drove the way I did, and that I must of been driving like a bat out of hell, etc. Then finally he noticed I had a man standing next to me so he attempted to be civilized. They guys decided to push the car back and foot or so, so I could drive around the the curb and get to the other side of the street where there was a parking lot we could leave the car. Dad and 3 strangers pushed the car back no problem but then the car wouldn't really roll ahead any. We had 2 people join the crowd so dad assumed that we would have no trouble rolling it accross the street. So dad decided he was going to stop traffic and let the 4 big men push the car wth me sitting in it. He goes to the middle of the road and holds both his arms out, quite obvious to any new onlooker what was going on. A woman in her early 30's driving a SUV was not slowing down very much and looked like she was going to hardly give me any room to get the car out. So dad like a savage yells, "JESUS CHRIST WOMAN STOP YOUR FUCKING CAR. CANT YOU FUCKING SEE ME STANDING HERE! BACK THE FUCK UP!!!" .. Oh god. Was this really happening. Did dad just yell that at the top of his lungs with all these people around. Yup he certainly did. Jonny G. Thats him. The guys were all shocked just staring and him and he glanced over our way and they all started pushing again. But nothing. Not one bit of movement. The transmission was totally gone and the rims were all bent up. This car was not going anywhere unless there was a tow truck. So dad waves the woman forward to gesture for her to continue, it was no use in holding up traffic. But this woman wasn't having any bit of it. She jumped out of her car yelling at dad, "What is your problem. Why did you yell at me? You need to control your temper I should call the police and have them come arrest you". Surprisingly dad looked rather sheepish and just said "Sorry lady i didnt think you were going to stop. Have a good day.". She started walking back in her car after that but she was continuing to mutter under her breathe about a crazy man in spandex. The men all left us and dad called a tow truck. I jumped in the car with mom and let dad stand outside the car for what ended up being 50 minutes until a tow truck came. I went in to work completely shaken up thinking I was going to have to cancel my California trip altogether. I cant afford to give dad money for a new car. I went around work pretty useless all day thinking about how I could make money fast. If I had a good body I would have gone straight down to the Cotton Club and asked them to put me on for a week. After a few hours went by and it was time to come home I was feeling much better. Afterall it was an accident. And there were a million people talking about accidents that happened today so I felt a little better. Surprisingly dad picked me up and he wasnt mad. Said he understood it was an accident and I just gave him money for the tow truck. I could still go on my trips. But I no longer have a car to drive...

No comments:

Post a Comment